Sunday, January 30, 2011

Digital Aethyrs

I'm an avid gamer, and I'm also very gifted at probability manipulation. I've been training in MMOs and the like (especially lotro for it's chance based aspected crafting system) for a week now.

There is a setup in Lord of the Rings Online called critical success for crafting. On a critical success of a gathering or processing skill, you get more processed materials to work with. On a production skill, critical success gives a highly improved item over what you were originally attempting to create.

There are items that improve the chances of critical success for production skills, and while not rare, they are uncommon enough for people to pay a bit for them.

Being the enterprising young chap I am, I forgo these success items and use my probability manipulation skills. The end result is roughly  the same as if I had a steady supply of free crit enhancers. Basically I have roughly 50% success rate of getting a better item than what I was currently attempting.

I also am blessing the items I make and distributing them to newbies because the digital aether is a rather overlooked plane (outside of chaos magick where very little blessing is done.)

I'm also using my skills to sell success enhancers at inflated prices to provide myself with the income necessary to continue handing out free swords that are both magic and magick.

5 comments:

  1. This is great. I can see that you have your own little niche interests and that's why you aren't into folk magic. Keep on blessing the binary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh, the normal crit chance for any crafting skill is 5%.

    I can boost the chances to 50% with my crit enhancers, or I can use probability manipulation and get the same outcome.

    One newbie ended up taking on an elite warg 5 levels above him and winning with one of my magickally enhanced magic swords.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you are doing your part to make World of Wargcraft a bit more magical, one disabled rng at a time. It makes me wonder about possible lawsuits involving manipulated rng's outputting "incorrect" data and how that affects fiscal revenue through hosted gameplay for firms like Blizzard. It could be a chance for the outing of psi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. well, lotro has been down for 6 hours now. That was immediately after having a crafting spree where I crit succeeded 10 times in a row on my heavy bronze sword recipe.

    I hope they're not looking into the inconsistency (or rather consistency) of their internal RNGs.

    I was just about to put down the money to buy the mines of moria expansion too...

    ReplyDelete